Thursday, March 18, 2010

Prom for Everyone!

constance mcmillen, gay, homophobia, prom , atheism, atheist,
Unless you've been out of the country (possibly on the moon), you've heard about Constance McMillen, the lesbian student whose simple request to bring the date of her choice to prom resulted in a bigot freakout for the ages in which the Itawamba school board cancelled prom altogether. The school board's theory was that since they can't discriminate against LGBTs, but a private organization can, they'd let a private organization take the reigns of discrimination.

The American Humanist Association has stepped into the breach and will be providing a bigotry-free prom for everyone, hilariously not what the school board had in mind, but exactly what they asked for. Go atheists!

I hope everyone who attends has a wonderful prom. To Constance, I would like to say that your courage and honesty is inspiring and I hope you apply that same attitude to everything you do in life, because that will make the world a better place for us all.

2 comments:

  1. So awesome! In the words of Nelson from The Simpsons "Ha ha!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I've been noticing this story come up now and again and I've been feeling very sorry for poor Constance. I mean seriously, cancelling the school prom and then pointing a finger and whining "she did it! It was her fault!!!" like a frigging 4 year old? How petty can you get?

    It's good to see a happy ending for once. I sincerely hope it all works out well.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are for you guys, not for me. Say what you will. Don't feel compelled to stay on topic, I enjoy it when comments enter Tangentville or veer off into Non Sequitur Town. Just keep it polite, okay?

I am attempting to use blogger's new comment spam feature. If you don't immediately see your comment, it is being held in spam, I will get it out next time I check the filter. Unless you are Dennis Markuze, in which case you're never seeing your comment.

Creative Commons License
Forever in Hell by Personal Failure is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at foreverinhell.blogspot.com.